Jumping the gun?

So I’ve been going through the first course and I’m currently in the setting up Windows Server section. I was told to skip ahead to Module 9 to create a Virtual Lab using VirtualBox which I’ve done and is working fine far as I can tell. Going through the set up isn’t that hard when you can just watch a video and then do it on your lab. The issue I’m starting to have is that I have zero experience with IT and basically everything that comes with it. I’ve seen things like DHCP and Subnet Mask and DNS but I don’t have a clue what most of that means or what it is used for. On the section where we set up the IP address using the command prompt and the Ethernet properties I noticed that Default Gateway and DNS numbers weren’t the same and I didn’t show internet access down on the taskbar. I did the troubleshoot and it fixed it but now the Ethernet shows “assigned by DHCP”. It’s stuff like this that makes me think I am getting way ahead of myself. This all started because I wanted to get into the IT field and thought about getting some certifications and in trying to figure out which ones would go the furthest I noticed a lot of people saying they didn’t really matter. Others said the opposite. Typical internet stuff. It isn’t a new concept to be in the loop of not being able to get experience unless they hire you but wont hire you without experience. I saw a few job listings saying they preferred the person to have a working knowledge of Active Directory which led me here. I’m sure I can do the labs for it and get a feel for the program in its basic form but if that’s all I have to go by I’m not sure it will get me very far. I think I can troubleshoot hardware in a lot of situations which is a part of a entry level job like a help desk but not enough to get hired I’d say. To wrap up this winded diatribe I guess I’m just looking for any feedback anyone would like to give on how I should go about it and if I need to start somewhere else with some more basic stuff before continuing on Server Academy. Thanks

First, welcome!

Second, module 9? Well… Don’t know who told you that… but that would not my suggestion. (EDIT: saw your other post, but that is only to get a VM up… little different story.)
What you already did, just start with Module 1. Learn what a Windows Server is and what the difference between them are. Then move to the next one.
I must say that the video ( https://www.serveracademy.com/tutorials/webinar-replay/active-directory-tutorial-for-beginners/ ) located in the recordings of the Live Room is also something you can do in between, to get a general understanding of the way at basic tof the Active Directory.

Think that Introduction to Active Directory in Module 2, should be better in Module 1. But that is what I do think about it.

Think you should stick to the modules, you will get pretty idea and some knowledge of Windows Server.
About Things like IP, gateway, DNS and subnetting, made a quick explanation of it:

DHCP: A service/server that gives out IP Addresses to devices on the network that got DHCP enabled, it means that the Server/router assign IP Addresses to device on that network (based on MAC address, but you may forget that :-D)
Local IP: A Unique (intranet) address that it has been given to each device on a private Network, like PC, laptop, Printer. Local IP Addresses are alway in the range of : 10.0.0.0 / 192.168.0.0 and 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
Public IP: A unique (internet) IP Address that has been assigned by your ISP to you. Visible to everyone on the Internet.
Gateway: the Exit to the Internet, in the lab not needed, but at your home that will be the IP of your Modem/Router. So, your device knows then, that is my gateway to the internet.
DNS: in basic: a domein like www.cnn.com is hosted on a server, that got a IP. DNS is that if you type in www.cnn.com that it knows to what IP it must go. (like a big table/Dbase), that works also like that in your Local network, the name of a Server (or any other device) can then connected to a IP address.
Subnet mask: This is little harder, but will try, example: a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 We call that a Classful subnet Class C. It divide the Network address and hosts:

255.255.255 is network, the 0 position are for the hosts. You got then a max of 254 hosts (note: subnet and IP will never go over 256!).

Example: The PC got the following IP settings:
IP: 10.15.150.4
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
(bold is the network address part)
Default Gateway: 10.15.150.1
At Home that will also be one of the DNS servers.

Then the Networkaddress is:
IP’s between 10.15.150.1 and 10.15.150.255 are the hosts. You can connect 254 hosts on this network, for now, I am not go to explain if you asking “what if I got more than 254 hosts”. If you want to I will explain that in a personal message.
So, the subnet mask is the “border” between a network address and the hosts addresses.

If you use a other network (example: 10.15.140.0) the Computer on 10.15.150.0 cannot see the computers (or printers e.d.) on the other network

Hope I made things a bit clear… I hope… :smiley:

Hereby a picture that match the things I mention above:

1 Like

Nice @luuc.zandbergen. I should hire you to create lectures lol.

1 Like

well… I can make a very nice lecture of subnetting, :smiley:

1 Like