About the advice of my upcoming technical interview

I received an email for the upcoming technical interview test and I would like to get ready for my upcoming technical interview test for may 24th. The position is a technical analyst 1 position, the only clue I do know is the job description. My only question is should I focus on key terms for topics like sccm,Mobile Device Management software,group policy active directory,ITSM,vpn and Citrix Virtual Desktop Infrastructure. I’m nervous for an upcoming written technical test interview.

Technical Analyst I – Corporate IT
Information Systems R18

On November 1, 2021, the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here.

At the Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) our vision of ‘Service. Relationships. Results.’ is all about providing a valued service, building strong relationships with our stakeholders, and achieving greater results for the province.

The LDB is one of two branches of government responsible for the cannabis and liquor industry of B.C. We operate the wholesale distribution of beverage alcohol and non-medical cannabis within the province, as well as the household retail brands of BC Liquor Stores and BC Cannabis Stores.

We employ nearly 5,000 people in over 200 communities and have hundreds of career opportunities spanning our entire wholesale, retail and corporate operations – from supply chain logistics, to high-tech solutions, and everything in between. The LDB has been named one of BC’s Top Employers 14 times over for offering exceptional places to work, flexible work hours and earned days off, extended health and dental benefits, maternity and parental leave top-up payments, a pension program, in-house professional and leadership development, and subsidies for professional accreditation.

The information technology (IT) team is highly customer focused and directly supports four distinct lines of business: retail liquor, wholesale liquor, cannabis, and corporate. These line of business IT teams are supported overall by both a Chief Information Security Officer and a Chief Technical Officer and their respective departments to ensure the organization prioritizes security and innovation.

At present the technology team consists of more than 200 full-time employees and has also adopted a multi-sourcing strategy and leverages external expertise, Cloud SaaS based services and government shared services as appropriate.

The teams integrate, maintain, and enhance more than 80 business systems on a hybrid on-premises and cloud infrastructure. These include:

• Merchandising and retail store systems that process 40 million plus customer transactions per year.
  • Wholesale, distribution, and warehouse systems that enable the movement of 17 million plus cases per year.
  • Corporate finance systems to service an annual budget of approximately $3 billion and HR and payroll systems to service more than 5000 employees.

The Technical Analyst-I resolves and troubleshoots complex technical problems/issues for various information technology areas including (but not limited to) desktop computers, laptops, printers, audiovisual equipment and mobile technology. The Technical Analyst-I is also responsible for the movement of PC hardware and associated peripherals. The position provides in-house tier 1 and tier 2 computer support, resolving software/hardware problems, installing/supporting software, for LDB Head Office staff, Warehouses and Retail Stores across the lower mainland.

A criminal record check is required.

Must hold a valid Class 5 or 7 BC Driver’s License.

Ability to lift equipment weighing up to 25 kgs.

Ability to travel overnight within the Province of British Columbia.

For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job description, also located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.

An eligibility list for permanent or temporary future opportunities may be established.

Position Requirements:
Education and Experience:

• Diploma or certificate in Information Technology or related field with a minimum one (1) year of recent, related experience.*

*Recent, related experience must have occurred in the last five (5) years and must include the following:

• Experience in resolving and troubleshooting complex technical problems for both hardware and software.
  • Experience in a customer service-related technical position.
  • Experience with help desk call tracking and IT service management (ITSM) software.

Preference may be given to candidates with the following experience:

• Experience using Systems Centre Configuration Manager.
  • Experience using Citrix Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
  • Experience providing guidance to co-op students and junior staff.
  • Experience with Mac hardware/software (iMac, MacBook, OS X etc.).
  • Experience with AV and presentation equipment.
  • Experience with Mobile Device Management software where you have created and administered policies.
  • Experience in deployment and support of Windows 7/10, Mac OS X in a Windows networking environment.
  • Experience with VPN and remote desktop configuration.
  • Experience with Microsoft AD DS and Group Policies.
  • CompTIA A+ certified or working towards certification.

Hi @andrewjames21c

I have read the Technical Analyst-I job description. I have a feeling that the test might have troubleshooting questions with common issues with those technologies besides the key terms. This is because of the 1-5 years of experience required.

If you have at least 1 year of experience, if you are good at troubleshooting and fixing things, positive, coachable, and willing to learn new things (like the CompTIA A+) you’ll be ok for the job.

Due to the size of LDB and the number of candidates, it makes sense to do a technical test as the first filter so they can move on with the ones who pass. The second interview might be more about the positive energy of the candidate, what he has done, and how he sees himself growing in LDB.

There might be more interviews later with the Tier-2 or managers with a mix of both types of interviews.

I had one interview for a cloud company and had 5 interviews, so not sure how many more will be.

My 2 cents.

I wish you good luck with your test, go for it!

Ricardo

1 Like

In that case I’ll study the key terms first and because I took server academy course for group policy,active directory and my recent problem with sccm, I think I use them as a troubleshooting questions for hands on lab.

I’d look up some stuff on DaaS desktop as a Service Citrix Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
at the same time it will probably side eye Azure cloud
Laptops, Pad;s Phones, and “dummy” terminals (ugh old school, lol)

I’ve tripped up a few times now on the “as a Service” models, one time I even forgot what i was doing and listed the OSI layer for SaaS lol

But all the best to you

Andrew

Forgot to add Cisco Packet Tracer, is a great way to get into Cisco devices on a beginner level and learn Switch and Router commands.
I have learned so much in 1 week, they do free courses, In one week I have learned how to make vlans, dhcp, trunking, port configs, on the router and switches, some serious finger smacking but realy cool stuff for beginners to get into Cisco.

https://auth.socialgoodplatform.com/auth/realms/skillsforall/login-actions/authenticate?client_id=b2e-marketplace&tab_id=2gwh6lOXzf4

Thanks for the advice, especially for the free Cisco course. also for the service citrix virtual desktop infrastructure since I have itprotv membership I can easily watch that video tutorial and do in the lab. I believe by doing hands on training especially sccm would help me prepare for the technical interview test for next Wednesday for troubleshooting. I am competing against all candidates. All I can do is to do my best.

I agree, I need to get more into SCCM, atm I’m splitting my time between doing some Exchange 2019 lab study and Microsoft 365/Azure AD/EndPoint-Intune Admin centers, but it’s not as in-depth as Server Academy does.
I will be perma account on Server Academy mostly for DHCP, DNS and SCCM

Udemy is a nice platform, but they charge per lesson and that gets expensive over time.

I feel you, I have dropped 10 applications today, My biggest problem is selling myself with a massive 10 year work absence gap, recruiters don’t care too much if you where a stay at home Dad. :grinning: