Adding a second domain controller

I dont know how to set ip4 numbers I learned it before…usually its 3 or 4 for the network address gateway dnsx2 broadcast static ip.

I set my computer name to SDC02 then I load AD DS, then I install DNS. I think the problem where the user names arent picking up each others domain name

this is SADC01

I created a partition when setting up windows and i set the new windows account on the new partition

Ive been working on this for three days please help me anyone

1 Like

Cameron, You need to set up your Subnet and Default Gateway to match SADC01. Also in my lab it said to assign the secondary controller with an IP of 10.1.0.11. With the IP still being configured by DHCP, I went into CMD and typed in “ipconfig /all”. This then gave me the Subnet, Gateway and also the DNS (which should be SADC01). Using this info I set my SADC02 with IP:10.1.0.11 / Subnet:255.0.0.0 / Default Gateway:10.0.0.1 and the DNS as Preferred:10.1.0.10 and Alternate:10.1.0.11. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Right now your servers IP and default gateway are on different networks (10 vs 192) which wont work. Take a look at what @matthew.abbott said and give that a show.

Im here to learn. I really want to learn this as much as going on in the course but I still cant get it working after ADDS is working I can’t promote because it says it can’t find a connection

!
Please and thank you for the help guys

1 Like

Hi Cameron,
It looks like your Default Gateways are incorrect. Set them both to 10.0.1.1, then ensure your NAT is set to 10.0.1.0/24 in VBOX/VManager (Whichever you are using). Also have your configured your firewall to allow traffic and created a inbound rule for ping. If so try to ping SDC01 to SDC02 then SDC02 to SDC01.

1 Like

Why is none of this explained in the lessons

1 Like

They ping to each other. but I don’t get a domain and i changed them both to 10.0.1.1 for the default gateways

2 Likes

Now that you have them communicating with each other over the same Gateway I would suggest saving your Lab and watching the module again. I know it’s confusing at first, but you will get it if you follow the instructions carefully and take notes along the way. If you are still confused after that post again and someone will walk you through.
Good Luck and don’t give up… You have got this!

1 Like

@cameron3703, I logged into your lab and fixed your networking issue. You were SO close!

I updated your default gateway on both VMs to 10.0.0.1. This was the only change needed. After that they both had internet and could ping the gateway. I saved your lab so you can resume with these correct settings:

1 Like

Can someone walk me through this problem. I’m stuck please and thank you

1 Like

How do you access your VMs

1 Like

You just need to relaunch that IT lab and you can see what I did along with the screenshot above.

[/quote]

Cameron and I hopped on a call together and got it working. We used the following IP settings:

I also updated this lecture with that screenshot to help future students: https://courses.serveracademy.com/courses/take/module-2/lessons/5851062-promoting-our-second-domain-controller

@cameron3703 Is going to run through the lab again on his own and see if he can get it working again.

1 Like

He got me straightened out. I did it on my own

1 Like