Building new vm's for beginners

Hello, I’m new here. I have been through just a few of the courses but the courses started off with adding rolls and features as far as I can tell. Is there a beginners course setting up the server and Windows VM’s? Especially the networks. I have spent days building VM’s and deleting them and starting over again and again. From what I see in the courses here on Server Academy there is no class that starts with that. I also use Hyper-V as I tried VirtualBox and it really did a number on my laptop and I have a good and fast laptop. Everything was slow when and after building VM’s with VB so I deleted VB and redownloaded Hyper-V plus I like Hyper-V better anyway. Any help directing me and others I’m sure the step by step to building the VM’s and setting up the networks for my DC Server and what I will be calling my windows client VM’s would be so helpful. I’m tired of building and deleting VM’s because I named it wrong or not knowing how to set up my networks. Then I can start following the courses starting with adding rolls and features and so on. Please help!!!

Hi @wearycrab

You can start with the Building your IT Lab course. This course teaches you the building and configuring of the Virtual Machines and Network configuration. You can then follow up with the Active Directory Fundamentals. This one will introduce you to Active Directory. These two will be your introduction.

Using Hyper-V is fine, just try to follow up the virtual machine creation and network configuration. The concepts are the same. The lessons show VirtualBox since more people have access to it and it is free software. There might be other virtualization software like VMware workstation and Fusion for Mac but we can’t cover them all.

You might not need to change the names of the server or network IP to match the lessons although I understand it helps mirroring the configuration but doing the same steps on different server and client names should be ok.

If you have another questions let us know. I know starting is difficult and we are here to support your study. :slight_smile:

Ricardo