Connecting the server to internet

I have a windows server (cloud) and following an upgrade from 2016 to 2019, somehow I lost the connection to internet. I mean that the browsers that I installed on the server cannot reach internet anymore, which I need for downloading additional software. I don’t find the reason for it. When I log in as admin and I check START → Settings → Network Status, it says “you are connected to the internet”. When I run a diagnose of the ethernet connection, the “troubleshooting couldn’t identify the problem”. Any suggestion on where to look? Thanks!

Hi @robert.frans

You can start with basic troubleshooting. Check your network adapter IP address with ipconfig -all. Try doing a ping 4.2.2.2 or ping 8.8.8.8. That will show us if the server can reach out to these external servers. If you can, then you can try to see if it is not a DNS issue, try with nslookup www.google.com.

Also, you can try disabling and re-enabling the network adapter. Disabling the firewall momentarily and test again, and then re-enable.

There might be more things involved in a cloud environment but I hope this gets us started. Let us know how it goes.

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. Even with pinging 8.8.8.8 giving a positive return, the internet access was not working. Eventually it got resolved, but I must admit that it was not via my interactions. When I disabled the ethernet adaptor, I lost connection with the server altogether (it is a cloud server), so I think that by accident I sew the branch of the tree upon which I was sitting…:slight_smile: When, upon my request, the server provider reestablished the connection, the internet connection was working again. Thanks anyhow for the quick reaction; I will keep the tips in mind you mentioned. Robert

I am glad that it worked out for you, Robert. :slight_smile: