Connection problems between servers

Working in Module 2, Adding a second Domain Controller.

It seems there is some kind of latency between the server. I got Time-out on nslookup and if want to connect to the other for transferring FSMO, then those errors appear that other could not be found.

One moment I can do something, other moment there is not connection between the servers, for now it looks like the DNS cannot connect for some reason. A ping works fine to the other server.
So, not able to do what I wanted to do.
NSLOOKUP, first 2x times a time out, then connected:

Change Schema Master, cannot see SADC01

Same issue but then in the Directory Server:

Another try at NSLOOKUP, 2x times timed out, then connection.

Both Severs side to side:

Just want to know if there is a problem, else I go to wait until it has been solved. (now I was all the time trouble shooting).
DNS been set up right, pointing to server SADC01, but also when I wanted to join domain it was giving me headache… :smiley:

Let me know.

1 Like

ow the side by side picture does show that it has been changed to SADC02, but that was during the process. After I did encounter several problems with the DNS.

For the facts the steps I did:
Set up new server SADC02, changed IP and enter DNS (of the other server, second DNS Google).
Added the SADC02 to the domain (that was giving me already problems that he could not find it). Suddenly it did worked.
Installed the AD DS role.
Wanted to make it a Domain controller, on that he did give me all the time a error that he couldn’t find.
After I just connect and checked the IP setttings on the other server (SADC01) it also suddenly worked.

Any way, I did encounter during the whole installation problems. Sometimes I did work, but seems that the information was not synchronised with the other server.

1 Like

Greetings,
To get back to basics. If I understand you correctly you have the following:
One server SADC01 configured as a domain server with AD and DNS installed.
Second Server SADC02 - is a member server joined to the domain with DNS installed
Your network is 10.1.0.0
SADC01 is configured as 10.1.0.10
SADC02 is configured as 10.1.0.11

At this point please explain what you are trying to accomplish with the second DNS server. Are you setting a secondary zone? This would be necessary if you wanted to create a copy of the SADC01 DNS database on SADC02

Try this:
on SADC01 TCP/IP DNS Preferred is pointed to itself
Set alternate to 8.8.8.8

On SADC02 TCP/IP DNS Preferred is pointed to itself
Set alternate to 8.8.8.8

I am assuming that you will be setting up a secondary zone. If so that should work. Please test it out by pinging between VM’s and running nslookup.

1 Like

No, the assigment was to set up a second Domain Controller, for that you need to install the AD DS role.
SADC01 Is already configured, pointing the DNS to it self and second to google (8.8.8.8.)
SADC02 DNS Pointed to the SADC01, what is needed. Or else you will not see the ad.serveracadamy.com (I thought).
Strange is, it does find it, see the NSLOOKUP, but need 3 efforts

To add a second Domain controller, I need to install the AD DS role, even that will also install DNS, it is not pointed to that.

1 Like

Hey @luuc.zandbergen,

Try to include the URL of the lesson and IT lab that you’re following along with so other instructors know which one you’re following along with.

You are correct - you need to point SADC02 to SADC01 or else the domain will not be found. Settings should be as follows:

1. SADC01

Static IP: 10.1.0.10
    Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    Primary DNS: 10.1.0.11
    Alt DNS: 10.1.0.10

2. SADC02

Static IP: 10.1.0.11
    Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
    Primary DNS: 10.1.0.10
    Alt DNS: 10.1.0.11

If your nslookup is not working - most likely your IP config is invalid. After making changes, try running ipconfig /flushdns. Hope this helps.

1 Like