Deploying MSI application. Application never shows up on client

I have tried 7 times. Followed instructions every time. Am I missing something? I cannot get deployed MSI to appear in client Software Store. I have noticed the times on server and client. Client is 1:51 pm Server is 1.51pm but deployment defaults to UTS schedule application to be available at 5:37pm? I tried changing that too. No change. Eventually i run out of extended lab time and have to try again. Anyone else experiencing this?

Hi @chrisc4

Let me add @robert.hill to check on why are you having that issue.

Hello Chris,
If I understand what is happening is that you are trying to push out .msi software to the clients software center and the software is not appearing in the clients software center. Is that correct? Are there any error indications?
You can also check your logs by checking the distmgr.log file located on the site server- Which is a software center log file. You can use the cmtrace tool, it should be located in the ConfigMgr_Install_Media>/SMSSETUP/TOOLS folder.
There is also a log file that is located on the client computer that records activity from the software center on the client - SCClient_domain@username_1.log
I am assuming that you can ping from the SCCM server to the VM as well.
Hope that helped,
Robert

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. It ended up being the clock (time) disparity between the server/ workstation.

Great, good job tracking that issue down! Clock not synced up will definitely cause those type of issues.

Thanks,
Robert

Having the same issue the SCClient_SAWS01-New@serveracademy.com_1 log is full of errors "Call to ExecuteMethod Failed, WMI MethodName “GetData”, MethodClass “CCM_SoftwareCenterUI”…
Any Idea’s why this error is caused. DId not find anything on the web for it. Does the Lab need to be reset?
Thanks

Hello,
Please tell me what you are trying to do, and what lecture you are on and I will try and help.
Thanks,
Robert

The lectures on creating a Application using MSI Part 1 and 2. When I do the deployment to the Client it never shows up in the software center on the client. SCClient_SAWS01-NEW@serveracademy.com_1.log if full of the error mentioned above. I have tried restarting the client computer. Have stopped the lab and restarted from the beginning and still don’t get the application to show up in software center.

Just a basic check:
Can you ping back and forth from the server to the client?
Do you have the firewall on the server/client enabled?
Robert

Yes I can ping back and forth

Greetings,
Can you ping between the client and the server?
Do you have the firewall enabled on the server/client.
You could check the Appdiscovery.log. The log-files can be found on the client C:\Windows\CCM\Logs .

This is on you lab VM just in case you were thinking I had a lab set up for myself.

Understood, but the first checks you will want to do is to check the firewall. It’s possible that the firewall could be blocking the app install. If you can temporary disable the firewall, just for testing purposes.
Also you could check the Appdiscovery.log on the client, it may give you error indications that will help you determine the cause of the issue. The log-files can be found on the client C:\Windows\CCM\Logs . There is another log file that you could check the distmgr.log file located on the site server.

Here are some client checks:
I am assuming you have already checked that the SCCM client was working on the client computer. If not you can check this by: Ensure the SCCM client is working on the computer and force its software deployment evaluations.

• Go to Control Panel and select Configuration Manager.
  • If the Configuration Manager item is not there, the SCCM client may not be installed. You can confirm by checking whether C:\Windows\CCM exists. If it is missing, there is no SCCM client installed.

Also check this out:

• Refresh Machine Policy and/or run an Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle
    • If software is not showing in Software Center, but it is in the correct collection, the client has likely not received update policy yet.
      • This is most obvious when software is not available shortly after being added to a collection or after a computer has been turned on.
    • Navigate to Control Panel.
    • Switch the view to Small Icons or select System and Security in category view.
    • Select Configuration Manager.
    • Select the Actions tab.
    • Select Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle and click Run Now.
    • Select Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle and click Run Now.
    • Wait 5-15 minutes then refresh Software Center (the wait time is an estimation: some computers will be faster, others slower). FYI you can refresh the Software Center with the F5 key
    • The software should now be available.

Here are the steps I have taken from your response

1. Checked for Appdiscovery.log in C:\Windows\CCM\Logs it doesn’t exist
  2. Checked the firewall it is turned off
  3. Refreshed Machine policy
  4. Ran Application Deployment Evaluation Cycle
  5. Opened software center and refreshed every 5 minutes for a 25 minute period

File still never shows up in software center
any other things to try on next round

Hey, ok lets see if we can come up with some additional steps to trouble shoot this problem. Lets start from the beginning.

1. So if you open the control panel you can find configuration manager right.
  2. We know the software center is on the client because you said that the MSI software never makes it to the client
  3. Before you pushed out the msi you set the deployment as required - correct.
    Here is a link that hopefully should help you troubleshoot this problem. Let me know if you get this working.
    Software Center Troubleshooting for Software Installation - CIT - Geneseo Wiki