DNS-on ISP-No Connection

I am installing new server 2016- Role and Feature. I am having some difficulty installing DNS features, but at the end I was able to get it though. However, server is picking up DNS from my ISP. If I DHCP, I get internet connection, and DNS would my ISP DNS. I am using VMBox, this should pickup DNS: 10.0.0.10. When I static server IP.: 10.0.0.10. I have to use my ISP DNS for static in order to get connection. Please see image. What went wrong and how to fix it?

1 Like

Hello,
You may have already tried this.
I am assuming that 108.166.149.2 is the IP address of your ISP’s DNS server, is that correct?
Add a static address for all servers and use DHCP for all W10 VM’s.
If you only have one DNS server. From your DNS servers TCP/IPV4 properties, try pointing your preferred DNS server to itself, and the alternate to 8.8.8.8 or you could use a loopback address of 127.0.01 as the alternate and create a forwarder to 8.8.8.8 which is googles DNS. Or you could create a forwarder to your ISP’s DNS. I hope this makes sense.
If you use a static addresses for the servers you should not have a problem.
I hope I answered your question.
Robert

1 Like

I understand what you mean. But I was just trying to troubleshoot wheather I did something wrong with server DNS that I installed or is this a network configuration issue. Apparently ISD DNS is picked up for some reason I don’t know how or why. But I did call my ISP to reboot the router, this seem to fix the problem. I now can use my lab server DNS and all PC are on network. I appreciate your help.

1 Like