Help Desk Roles

Can someone give me a specific guide on what I need to know for help desk positions.

Greetings,
The best way to approach a new job is to try and find out ahead of the interview what type of service the users are using. For example if the system is Microsoft server with remote users. You will need to know something about general network related connection issues. So to answer your question more directly the job related questions will be centered around whatever O/S that has been incorporated for those end users. Whether it would be Macintosh or Windows. You would have general Windows or Mac end-user related questions. So you need to find out what type of operating system and office related software that is being used and research those systems from an end-user perspective.

Hi nickpascal1,

There might be multiple answers to your question, depending on the industry and technology used as Robert previously mentioned.

To contribute from what I have seen in help desk positions, a candidate needs to know the client OS (Windows or Mac), the applications, and how they interact with the servers, peripherals, basic knowledge of networking. Also, help desk technicians need to have analytical thinking to identify and diagnose issues and problems.

In a nutshell, you’ll need to understand basic computer functionality and a beginner’s understanding of the company’s services.

Hello Ricardo,
Thanks Ricardo. nickpascal1, We would be glad to help you if we can, but you will need to find out more position related details concerning your perspective employer. Sometimes you can get an idea from their website. It’s always a good idea to understand their business model for the interview.