High Level Overview?

So I am working my way through the SCCM material and, I just can not get into it. the material from the first few sections was nice because there was some high level overview and explanation of things. But the SCCM section lacks that…as does a lot of different resources out there.

So I am wondering if I can get information about how it integrates into the overall picture of a server. The core purposes of why it is used…why make groups and queries and such. Kind of a foundation to connect a lot of other information to.

Maybe some one could start with a broader explanation of what it is for? I have the idea it is a collection of tools that manage a broad subset of functions…but what any of that is and how it ties into the previous material is not present in my mind.

1 Like

Hello Kent,
It would help me if you would break down your question into a specific area. One question that I have is have you completed all of the labs? Most of the time if you get experience performing the tasks written out in the lessons you will get the understanding that you require. Please be specific on exactly what information you feel that you are missing. Perhaps then we can move forward.

Thanks,

Robert

Hey Robert,
Ok…let me see if I can articulate this better. To understand what I am trying to learn…I need to have a framework to put that into. With say Active Directory, that framework is “the management of people and machines and what they can and can not do.” The other topics before SCCM also were pretty clear.

My issue right now is I do not understand how SCCM fits into the big picture. How it relates to the previous material.

I have looked for info regarding this…and all of it is pretty opaque in how it is explained. So like…queried groups…what is the purpose, what is the end goal of the process. You show the process…but I am missing the why of the process. And that “why” was not stated clearly at the start for me. Does that make sense?

Apologies if it does not…thinking as I do often times necessitates these discussions. Aspergers/functional autism is a pain…but offers me benefits as well.

Hi Kent,
Sorry, I just got this message. The messaging system was not working correctly.
Hopefully this will help you.

Big picture is like this. SCCM is a tool that you can use to deploy the following:

• Software – like Microsoft Office, or other software.
  • Operating Systems – like Windows 10
  • Updates – Like Windows Updates

Groups

Can be a bunch of users or devices. It’s a way to organize your users. You can organize groups according to your organization for example like HR or Engineering.

Collections can be users or devices.

• Collections can have rules, so that you can be specific as to what users you want to be part of the collection.

• You can deploy software to collections.

SQL

• SQL is a database – A database stores data (details) about your organization.
  • SQL is used in SCCM so that you can run reports on the data that SQL has collected.

Software Management

• Software generally comes in two formats msi and exe. MSI is the older version.
  • You can create applications using software that has an .MSI extension.
  • Or you can create software that has an .EXE extension.
    This software then can be deployed to your users.

O/S deployment

You can use a task sequence so that you can deploy the Windows 10 operating system to computers.

Endpoint Protection

Is used for Malware and virus prevention

Updating SCCM

• You can keep your SCCM infrastructure updated by following the procedures in this course.
  • It is best to test the update using your test bed, so that you will be aware of any issues that may arise because of the update.

So maybe to distill it a little more.

SCCM is a collection of tools for the deployment and monitoring of assets and people. Allowing an organization to manage access to software and rights, reduce waste, and maintain systems in a single collection of tools.

Is that correct? Anything you would add?

1 Like

Hi Kent,

That is correct. Now coming down from the high level explanation. There are plenty of specifics that the course will add. My recommendation is to go through each section and learn and apply what the course teaches. In time I believe it will all make sense to you.

I am, just needed to get that material in my head. As another point feel free to use that if you remake the video. Thank you.

Hello Kent,

Thanks for the input. A level overview is a great idea!!

Robert