Home lab setup recommendation

Hello all,
I just purchased a r720 server for home lab setup and wanted to get recommendation on what hypervisor to use to get the most out of the courses provided. I am currently leaning towards Proxmox for the ease of use for containers and the ease of setup. I looked at the free version of Vmwares ESXI and it has a 32gb limit on memory per cpu. While I don’t have more then 32gb of ram on the server I have been considering adding more. What are your recommendations and thoughts on this subject.

Hi @ambroseg

Great hardware for a lab you have there. I have been using it at work for over 5 years now and waiting to decommission it to take it home :slight_smile:

When it comes to choosing the Hypervisor (in my case) it depends on which I use at work, Hyper-V, VMWare, OpenStack, or Proxmox. I tend to choose what I use at work to get familiar with it and test some things before prod. I see a lot of professionals using VMWare for home labs, but might be just because of the ease of use, integration with VM tools, and stability.

That hard limit on memory was only till 5.1. Now you can go up to 4TB RAM on free ESXi from version 5.5 from what I can see here:

But you can try it first and see it once on your hardware.

1 Like