Print Server Windows Updates

Hello,
We are running our print server on Windows server 2012 R2. Some months ago after running Windows updates the server stopped working and had to uninstall all the updates. Can anyone suggest on how to approach getting this server up to date without crashing it. For example, we have updates going back to 2019. Do I need to worry about those? Please ask me any questions regarding this situation, or suggest a resource to attack this problem.
Thank you.

Hi @johnb4

I would install a new Windows Server 2019 and migrate the Print Server Role. In theory, migrating to this role is easy unless you have a special need to keep it.

https://4sysops.com/archives/migrate-print-servers-to-windows-server-2019-2022/

Ricardo

1 Like

Hi @ricardo.p
I will take this migration into consideration. I have not done a migration yet. If migration fails, such as this, can you revert to the server you’ve been using? The print server is a Hyper-V VM, I guess I would just install a new Windows Server 2019 VM, and use that as the target. Thanks for the reply.
johnb4

That’s right, your approach is correct. You can test on a new VM and import the role configuration.

Ricardo

Hi Riccardo, I appreciate the feedback. @johnb4