SCCM, deploying an image without using PXE

Could I get some feed back on deploying an image without using PXE server and deploying the OS from bootable media (USB) to an unknown computer. I actually deal with SCCM at my Job on a daily basis and task with the project with updating our new imaging software, primarily in SCCM. I have spent month on trying to configure the OS deployments but I am struggling. Could really use some help on this.

Hey Aaron,
What software are you using for imaging? Like I wrote earlier, instead of using PXE, perhaps your networking devices have IP helpers that would direct your W10 workstations where to go for the boot files.

Currently its a script that sits on the server that was created before I was here. the current issue right now is that the new dell laptops that we buy have the new standard UEFI chip sets and our imaging script doesn’t work on them and only work with legacy BIOS. Our current admins have not really done any imaging or even try to attempt to learn it on SCCM. So I wanted to figure this out.

Right you say IP helpers. I try to load enough network adapters and SCSI adapters on the boot image (drivers). and my error always comes back to “Failed to Apply the OS”. Tell me what info you need more ill try to give it. I appreciate the help honestly.

Hi @aaronm

I remember doing deployments without PXE servers with WinPE and WIM files. Something like the following:

Capture and apply a Windows image using a single .WIM file

Basically, you create your Template OS, update and install your corp applications i.e. Office 365, etc. You then Sysprep and shut down the machine. Capture the Image booting to the PC with WinPE and create a WIM file to transfer to the USB. Boot with WinPE to the New Machine, format the Windows partition with diskpart, and then copy the WIM file and deploy it. Reboot to the Windows the OS.

I remember typing these commands manually not to mess with Dell’s recovery partition and diagnostics.

I don’t have the commands with me anymore but I do see some of them in the following link which deals mostly with dispart to prepare the disk before moving the WIM file.

Script for WinPE to auto deploy a Windows 10 image

Ricardo

I am assuming that the script is a Power Shell script. I am wondering if that script could be edited to include the commands for the new UEFI chip. Perhaps you could talk to the current admins and setup a test bed to check this out before you release it to all the users.
Checkout this link and the sublinks, hopefully it will help you out. Ricardo’s suggestions should help as well.

Thanks,
Robert