Sconfig command

On Module 1: “Installing and Configuring Windows Server” section two, lesson 6 “Configure Windows Server Core” testing the sconfig command in my PS instance, this is what I get:

"PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sconfig
sconfig : The term ‘sconfig’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1

• sconfig
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (sconfig:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>"

Exited out of PS and tried the same command in the CMD window and received a similar denial;

"C:\WINDOWS\system32>sconfig
‘sconfig’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>"

Working on a Win10 Enterprise v.1809. Can someone guide me to find out the reason of why it does not work for me?
Thanks for your support.

I installed Server Core using same command and it worked. Make sure you are using cmd as administrator! I hope this help!

1 Like

Thank you Alexander, I did open the cmd window as an admin, I believe I have found out what I did wrong.
Have an excellent rest of the day.

1 Like

Hey Ricardo,

It sounds to me like you install Windows Server desktop instead of Server Core.

@alexander.kok thank you for responding to Ricardo’s question so fast!

Hi, I’m having the same problem that you originally faced, do you by any chance remember what you inputted to make Sconfig work?

Hey @ysihakl

Ensure that you are running CMD or PowerShell as an administrator, that seemed to work before. But you also can try the following:
Locate sconfig under System32 folder, try running it directly. It might be that your system’s PATH environment variable is not including it.
Execute the command Get-WindowsEdition in PowerShell to make sure is a Windows Server Core OS since sconfig is just available on Windows Server Core.