Setting Up Virtual Lab on Laptop

I was curious if it is possible to setup and use a domain on my laptop using Hyper-V? I am trying to to some WSUS testing for a course. I am having problems getting my DC to access the internet and the test PC’s to be visible on the WSUS server. I understand that the Server Academy offers these courses with labs included, but cannot find out what that would cost me.

Hi @johnb4

You can set up a domain on virtual machines on Hyper-V on your laptop if you have enough resources. We have a course Building your IT Lab on how to do that but on VirtualBox. If you are familiar with Hyper-V it will be the same domain setup.

Regarding the hosted IT Labs, these are part of the full access plan and you can check the pricing here: Plans - Server Academy

Ricardo

1 Like

I think I have enough resources as I have been able to work with these VM’s already, it’s just getting the VM network setup the way I need to. I have watched the course on Building your IT Lab, I was just hoping to use Hyper-V because it is more readily available, and I have had problems using the trial version in past. When you take a course with Server Academy I hear that includes the labs you need? I am interested in the yearly plan if that’s so, but I asked someone what the cancellation policy was and did not get an answer.
Thanks for your time.

You can refer to the FAQ on the main page, here’s how:

You simply register, use the training platform until you are done learning and practicing, then cancel at your convenience.

There is no long-term commitment or contract required - you are free to cancel any time you want.

Ricardo

Ricardo, can I ask you a couple of more questions? I realize the Server Academy uses vmware for their courses. In your experience is it easy to apply what’s learned there to Hyper-V? Getting a full membership does include the labs?

Hi @johnb4

We use VirtualBox for the courses, but regardless of the underlying virtualization platform, if there’s a shared network for the virtual machines to communicate, then it should not be a problem.

I have used VMware in the past but decided to use VirtualBox instead, and there is no problem doing the same labs.

Getting a Full membership does give you access to the Labs. The labs have everything ready for you to apply the configurations learned from the lessons.

I think I am going to try a full access membership. I have been in IT for some time, and in my second year as server administrator. Can you suggest a plan that would be right for me? By the way, I saw your article on Server Administrator Salaries and it was very good.

1 Like

Congratulations on your second year as a server administrator. :sunglasses:
You can try the Full Access Monthly plan that will give you lab access.
Thanks for the Article comment :smiley:

Thanks, ricardo.p.