WHY - SCCM Surface Drivers/Firmware Show Low Number Required

We have majority of our workstations are Surfaces devices. When we use the SCCM firmware/driver upgrade service and download all required, it is showing hundreds or less that require the upgrade even though we know there are 1000 - 2500 surface devices in the environment or more.

What I need to know is why this drivers/firmware have such low required numbers, when they should be in the thousands?

This issue only appears to be happening on MSFT products Lenovo or Dell products seem to reflect accurate number of devices requiring their updates.

Thanks,
Orlando

Hi @orlandot

That’s interesting, just Microsoft Surface devices. Check how SCCM is categorizing your Surface devices. SCCM uses detection rules to determine if a driver or firmware update is needed for a particular device, maybe here’s why. You can always chek with Microsoft if possible.

An article you can read about the issue:

Share anything you can find about it since is interesting to know the root cause.

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for the insight I agree with the point on SCCM using detection rules to determine applicability or compliance of devices when it comes to updates. which is why this is so weird. If no surface devices showed as requiring the updates, I would definitely be looking into the detection method being used, but the fact that some devices are showing a requiring these updates indicates the detection method is sound (or it appears to be).

I will read the article you provided and see what I might be able to get from it.

Thanks, and if you think of anything else, please let me know.
Orlando